Designation Demonstrates Eastman Companies’ Commitment to Sustainability
LIVINGSTON, N.J. – April 20, 2015 – Eisenhower Corporate Campus, a premier 380,000-square-foot Class A office complex located at 290 Eisenhower Parkway in Livingston, N.J., has earned the U.S. Green Building Council’s (USGBC) LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Silver certification for Existing Buildings: Operations & Maintenance. Owned and managed by Eastman Companies – along with its joint venture partner Long Wharf Real Estate Partners of Boston, Mass. – Eisenhower Corporate Campus is one of the few multi-tenanted office buildings in the state to achieve this prestigious certification.
The USGBC is a non-profit organization dedicated to sustainable building and construction. To receive LEED certification, building projects satisfy prerequisites and earn points to achieve different levels of certification. According to the USGBC, “LEED for Existing Buildings: Operations & Maintenance identifies and rewards current best practices and provides an outline for buildings to use less energy, water and natural resources; improve the indoor environment; and uncover operating inefficiencies.”
LEED certified buildings save money and resources; have a positive impact on the health of occupants; and promote renewable, clean energy. Eisenhower Corporate Campus scored 50 points out of a possible 110 for a number of strategies related to water savings, energy efficiency, innovation in operations and indoor environmental quality applied to the building over the past several years.
Among these strategies was the completion of a solar installation project designed to provide green power, reduce the building’s carbon footprint and lower operational costs. The project consists of 1,793 solar array modules that produce 500 kW (DC capacity) and 420 kW (AC capacity) of sustainable energy. About 60 kW (480V) of the total system was placed on a prominent hillside near Eisenhower Corporate Campus while the remaining panels sit atop the building’s roof.
Electric Car Charging, Recycling, Sustainable Energy Among Criteria Recognized
Other green actions implemented by Eastman Companies at Eisenhower Corporate Campus to earn LEED Silver Certification include:
- Adding four electric car charging stations and installing a building energy management system to improve HVAC operation
- Installing energy-efficient LED lighting throughout the complex
- Upgrading the building’s cooling towers and installing low-flow toilets, urinals and sinks which have decreased water use by almost 70 percent
- Recycling waste materials during all demolition projects and using environmentally friendly construction materials, energy-efficient lighting and appliances, and water conservation fixtures
- Contracting with ConEdison to purchase 100 percent sustainable energy through certified wind power. Wind power – a form of clean, renewable energy – is generated from wind turbines that capture and convert wind into electricity
- Using green cleaning and janitorial supplies in favor of chemical sprays that are more harmful to the environment
- Earning ENERGY STAR certification from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- Conducting an active waste reduction and recycling program
- Encouraging corporate tenants to become engaged in the building’s conservation goals. Office renovations made by Verizon, the building’s largest tenant, were built to LEED standards. Furniture and carpeting were made from recycled materials, and the space includes energy-saving light controls and occupancy sensors
- “Corporate responsibility and sustainability are among Eastman Companies’ core values,” said Michael Schofel, Eastman’s co-managing partner. “We continually strive to reduce our carbon footprint and remain at the forefront of global green initiatives. Earning LEED Silver certification demonstrates our commitment to providing a high-performing and environmentally sound workplace for all our employees and tenants.”
Eisenhower Corporate Campus is comprised of four interconnecting buildings set on 33.5 acres of exquisitely landscaped grounds. Campus amenities include a full-service cafeteria with catering capabilities, 24-hour security, a professionally supervised state-of-the-art fitness center, and a new 600-vehicle parking structure with LED lighting and enhanced security features. In addition, the fully equipped on-site Eisenhower Conference Center with teleconferencing capabilities is available for a variety of business functions ranging from small meetings to large corporate conferences.
Situated in the heart of the West Essex corridor, Eisenhower Corporate Campus is just minutes from shopping, restaurants, and the county seats of Morris and Essex counties. It offers tenants direct access to Route 280 and is easily accessible to interstates 78, 80, 287, the Garden State Parkway and Newark Liberty International Airport. The strategic location of Eisenhower Corporate Campus features proximity to a number of universities and exceptional labor pools, enhancing its position as one of New Jersey’s most business-friendly and accessible office facilities. Garibaldi Group/CORFAC International is exclusive leasing agent for the property.
Headquartered in Livingston, N.J., Eastman Companies and its affiliated companies have been in business for 37 years and are recognized leaders in high-quality real estate developments with property throughout Northern New Jersey. The company boasts a portfolio of more than two million square feet of office, retail and industrial space located in Essex, Morris, Bergen and Burlington counties.